Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I have a new number

Last week, I got rechecked to see if the elevated glucose level at my doctor visit earlier this month was accurate or a quirky reading because I had cereal for breakfast. Well, my fasting level indicates that I am in the pre-diabetic zone. Recommendations from the doctor were to continue to exercise or do a little more and watch what I eat. Good grief. OK, so right now there is little to no red meat in my diet. I eat as much organic food as possible. My green leafy intake has increased and it still is not enough. Now, I am on a mission. In 6 months, she will recheck me again to see if I am still in the zone. I will work hard to put this off as long as possible, so I have some goals to set and will be careful with the rewards, like a Round Rock donut or a piece of pie. I know I can do this and will make every effort to come back in with a number less than 100.

One more thing to think about...since I have a predisposition to get diabetes, I will eat more like a diabetic. My doctor and I talked about this and she said the best way not to become one is to eat like one. I may not like the advice, but I think it will give me more years of good quality of life, so guess what? I will follow her directions. I will eat to defeat this disease. One whammie at a time. I kicked cancer's ass, I think diabetes will go the way of the Do-Do after staring me in the face.

I love your guts!

No comments:

Post a Comment