Saturday, September 28, 2013

Over used words and phrases

Today I was thinking about some phrases and words we use that have become acceptable.  Now you may think I am referring to bad words or phrases. I am going to disappoint you because these are nowhere close to being bad or offensive. 

Before I get started with the list, I am bringing this to light because my perspective has been put to task over the last twenty months. Come along for the ride and nod or shake your head.

"I am too busy..." Really? You are too busy? Then pause or stop what you are doing and think about how you can restructure your day, week or priorities. You may be "too busy" because you have a hard time saying no. I have data (non-scientific) that indicates that most women cannot say no because we have a need to please or help others. I am one of those people and need to remind myself to stop.

"I am so tired..." OMG - I do not like hearing this at all! Yes, I feel that way frequently. I felt it most when I was going through treatment. I know other women who are not as fortunate to have such a great support system as me. When I hear this, think this or sometimes catch myself saying it out loud, I take a moment to evaluate if I am truly tired from a lack of sleep or food. Or if I am doing too much during the day/week beyond my true capacity. If I answer no to these questions, then someone should flog me with donut holes or mud pies.

"I'm just saying." Well, yes, when you speak, you are saying something. There is no need to follow any statement or story with this phrase, ever! Please stop saying this phrase. 

"I couldn't care less." Wow. Listen to the phrase again, I couldn't care less. This is what is known as a double negative. This statement emphasizes that you do care. 

Irregardless - For the love of Pete (St. Peter), please stop using this word. This word is a double negative. Let me break this down for you. The word regardless stands alone meaning without regard or some say willie nilly. When you add the prefix "ir" to the beginning of regardless, you are saying with regard. Your sentence or statement would probably be fine without the word. Try saying or writing your statement without this irritating word. [stepping down from soap box]

Thank you for listening to my rant. I have more, but will reserve it for another time.

I hope you got a chuckle about the crazy things stuck on my mind. There is so much more but it is usually sport related and I am not sure that is what you want to read about. Go forth and share this list with others. They may not be aware :)

I love your guts!

No comments:

Post a Comment